An historic Clay County family farm is now part of the Tennessee Century Farms Program, administered by the Center for Historic Preservation at MTSU, and is being recognized for keeping continuously owned family land in agricultural production for at least the last 100 years.
The Bazle & Bertha White Farm, a 58-acre property located 15 miles west of Celina, was founded in 1917 by brothers James and Robert Lester. Along with James’s wife, Ethel Sims Lester, and their three children, the family raised food crops, chickens and cattle. In 1950, James and Ethel’s eldest daughter, Bertha Lester White, inherited the property, and she and her husband, Bazle White, and their three daughters continued improving the farm. They raised cattle, pigs, chickens, guineas and turkeys and added a barn and pond to the property.
For more on this story, pick up a copy of this week’s Citizen Statesman on newsstands now, or subscribe online at citizen-statesman.com.